Sunday, August 7, 2011

A hundred (and two) pages in...

Palma has actually kept me intrigued about Andrew Harrington, especially through his adventure with Marie, a character I started to care about more than I expected I would. As I am sure I will find out more throughout the book, I can see the intricate weaving going on here, especially with Gilliam Murray and his time travel. Without revealing too much, I can honestly say that I was surprised a bit at how Mr. Murray can do what he does, or at least the suggestion of such. And Palma's narrative technique strings together both complex ideas and simpler ones, with an ease I not only find reassuring as a reader, but also as a writer.

That being said, I did find it a little strange at how quickly Andrew so quickly believed his cousin, Charles, about the adventure he had taken thanks to Mr. Murray. A man bent on committing suicide, Andrew was more eager than I think a man in his position would be to accept such a far-fetched notion. But, perhaps that's part of the charm of the text, suspending belief on our part as well as Andrew's.

And I love the idea of Eternal. We'll see how this character plays a role in the unfolding scheme, unwinding threads from a temporal skein.

Mr. Ham, anything to add? I'm starting Chapter 8 as soon as click "Publish Post," so I await your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment