Saturday, February 7, 2009

So far...

While David is off to New York Comic Con, watching the new Wonder Woman animated film, meeting other comic geeks, rubbing shoulders with Comic Giants, and other things that couldn't possible interest me in the least, I have conquered the first 120 pages of the book.
What I like about Neil Gaiman is that he is able to set the tone for the book within the first page. Shadow, our protagonist, is about to be let out of prison for an unnamed crime. From the second you learn this, you already get a sense of foreboding...a feeling that Shadow would do well to stay on the inside. This colors every conversation, every gesture and every moment you spend with Shadow. I don't want to spoil things, but soon this proves to be true.
Quickly, Gaiman introduces Mr. Wednesday...and otherworldly sort of character who becomes Shadow's employer, and possibley benefactor. What kind of job does he require of Shadow? Not a very upstanding one.
When David gets back, we will discuss more...

1 comment:

  1. I'm interested to hear what you think of Gaiman's work. The only thing I've read by him is Coraline, though I have a copy of Stardust quietly waiting on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete